About Me

My photo
I am currently a Senior at VCU and am double majoring in Anthropology and International Studies and minoring in Italian. I have a deep love for travel and hope to expose myself to as many cultures and peoples as possible.

Sunday, February 13, 2011


When I first started researching songs about ‘worldly success’ and ‘liberation’ I thought that it would be easier to find songs that fulfilled the worldly success aim.  However, it ended up being the other way around.  Although this might seem strange since it seems that we are always surrounded by messages of money, fame and power (the things that we, as a culture, have defined as the things that bring worldly success), it was easier for me to connect with the message of liberation.

            To me, liberation comes in many forms.  The area I focused on was the liberation of certain groups (sex, gender, race, etc.).  There have been many movements in the past that have focused on some of these issues.  Naturally, since we are a culture of free expression, the issues at hand have been made lyrical and turned into songs that openly play on the airwaves. 

            To me, liberation is simply the act of being liberated, or set free, from something.  There have been many equal rights movements that have taken place throughout history.  These movements are powerful in that they often change the way that people are thought of and act towards one another.  For me, the one equal rights movement that hits home the most is that of equal rights for women.  From the start of recorded history women have had a stereotypical image and role that they must play.  For a long time this worked for women and they did not feel the need to push for change.  However, this has changed.  Now, women are acting out against what is considered the ‘norm’ and are demanding that things change in all facets of life.  A song that captured this well is India Arie’s Video.  She sings about only doing things if and when she wants and only doing things that make her feel good.  She is sending the message that it is not only okay, but good to push for change and not fit into the little box that women have always had to fit tidily into.  Her reason for doing certain things is to make her happy, not anyone else.  Isn’t that the point of life?

            As far as worldly success I chose to focus more on the peace aspect.  Although these songs were harder to find than songs about power and wealth, I wanted to express what worldly success means to me.  I think that peace, love and unity are more important and bring more happiness than money and power.  Four of the five songs I chose for this aim have to do with the more humanitarian aspects of worldly success.  ‘Money,’ however shows what I think most people attribute worldly success to. 

            Just as I did in my previous post, I found that the pop culture meaning of ‘worldly success’ and ‘liberation’ differ from the Hindu meanings of the paths.  In Hinduism, achieving worldly success means attaining wealth, power and fame.  This is much the same in the current pop culture understanding of worldly success.  However, I think that there is still some difference.  On the other hand, the Hindu meaning of liberation is seeking freedom from limitations.  The classic example of this in Hinduism is getting out of the cycle of samsara.  This is the ultimate act of liberation that one can experience. 

           

4 comments:

  1. Yes, peace love and unity bring more happiness than success and money. I feel as though most people forget that or are too self absorbed to realize it, they may think that money will make them happy but in most cases it doesn't. I also found it easy to find songs about liberation, it seems to be a very subjective topic that encompasses many different topics. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have some very good points. I found it easier to find songs about success though. I think that I found it easier because most Americans want to please themselves as you stated, but I think success goes hand in hand with pleasure. Because we want to be happy we make goals and strive to reach them, and by reaching them we are happy in return. I think that I found liberation a little more difficult at first because I was not sure what to relate it to. Then by relating it to freedom I found a wide variety of songs. Just as you mentioned there are many aspects of this freedom. I think that you helped me better understand the freedoms we are searching for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm surprised you found it easier to find liberation songs than success songs! But when you related liberation to the rights movements it made a lot of sense. I agree with your idea that a good way to look at liberation is also the simplest, to be free of something. And yes, our American views greatly differ from the Hindu concepts of these terms in most ways. Success and wealth is similar, but not quite the same thing that the Hindu aim is getting at. Great song choices and a well supported argument.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathleen-
    It was interesting to read that “liberation” was the easier topic of songs for you to find. I find this interesting based on my own difficulty finding songs about liberation. I really like how you focused on the liberation of certain groups. I didn’t really think of liberation in that way while I was searching for songs to relate. You focused on the liberation of a group rather than the individual (which is what I did). Your response was very clear and you did a great job of pointing out the true meanings of the aims.

    ReplyDelete